Tuesday, 15 August 2017

Two year anniversary!



Well, not too much of an update.  My left arm feels pretty normal.  The only time I feel something’s off is when I’m lifting weights and there seems to be an imbalance in strength.  I also occasionally hear clicks in my left arm while moving it, which I understand is scar tissue.  But, I’m told that over time this will all heal.

Being naturally right-handed, more so when I was injured, I also have to remind myself to use my left arm more often when doing simple tasks like grabbing a mug from the cupboard or opening a jar.

Other than that there’s really not much else to say.  I had the opportunity to go treetop trekking again this month and a part of me wanted to go so I could say that I conquered it and have a happy ending to gloat about (or worse, break something else!).   But, ultimately I chose not to go because I recall it not being an enjoyable experience for me.  At the risk of sounding like a negative Nelly, I personally didn’t find it fun and still don’t think it was entirely safe (despite all the harnesses and their promises).  It’s still a scary and painful experience if you slip and fall while on an obstacle course and trying to get back up is difficult.

The only thing I gained from treetop trekking was that it made me want to work on my upper strength more because I didn’t like the feeling of struggling while trying to support my own weight.

Despite the long road and painful memories, I’m still satisfied with my decision to heal naturally.

Remembering to be grateful for what I have and what I’m physically able to do helps ground me.  If I’m ever feeling stressed or down about something, I remind myself of those times when I wasn’t able to change positions when I slept, or even wash my own hair, and then my mood changes.

Us, broken-arm folk, are part of an exclusive club and have a unique experience that provides us with better perspective.

Wishing the best of luck to those on this journey!

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I have been reading your posts. I broke my left humerus earlier in May and 15 weeks on conservative management with no sign of union yet and skin infection.
    Im planning to prepare for the surgery now but is really hoping to recover the way you do by the time im ready for surgery.
    Do you remember how it feels when bone are growing, i am getting more gloomy as I check on my arm daily over the mirror and it looks as if nothing changed.

    Do you have to put cast all the time when you hit 12-15 weeks mark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viktoria, sorry to hear about your ordeal and I can definitely empathize.

    I remember wondering what "healing" would feel like and there were small clues like when I could raise my arm while in bed. But, I think it really depends on what your x-rays show. If you see any bone growth then that would likely determine if you can come out of the cast.

    I know it sucks. Though if you're suffering and bone isn't growing at all over a lengthy period of time then surgery might be the way to go...

    But let's be hopeful, & I wish you all the best with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    I just read through your blog and am finding that I am having a very similar experience to you. I have a spiral fracture on almost the same spot on my humerus. I've been in a sarmiento brace since week 2, which is great because overtime I was able to get use of my hand and I've been able to move my elbow. After my fracture started to mend, I was able to start moving my shoulder a little.

    I'm hitting week 11 soon and have been nothing but depressed. Each appointment I've gone to the doctor and have been told to expect to be out of the brace and healing by the next visit. Yet each time I go it seems as though my body decided to stop healing. Just like you, the inner site of the fracture, where the bones are closest, has mended pretty well. The callus there is fairly strong on the x-ray. But the outer edge of the fracture is almost not registering the other bone.

    It's heart breaking, not being able to be yourself and live a normal life like you want to. I try to put on a strong face for fear that people think I'm being dramatic when I get upset. But honestly, this is a tough experience that 99% of people won't understand. I keep wondering if I would've been happier going the surgery route...but I know that surgery is much much riskier.

    I've been offered the bone stimulator just this past week. I was told by the doctors at the hospital that it would be free...but of course I just received a phone call informing me that the co-pay would be around $1500. I'm not sure what to do here.

    I'm wondering...what did you do around this stage that helped turn the corner? You mention that you don't get the stimulator and that you elevate your arm more to help...what do you mean by this? Did you try to rest more for fear of overusing it? Would you suggest putting your arm back into the sling?

    I'm desperate.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Please email me at leblanc.sk@husky.neu.edu

    Skylar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Skylar. I am going through this type of fracture at the moment but only at week 7. Was curious to hear how you are now? I hope you have had good news.

      I decided after reading this blog to document my journey so if you’d like to hear my story feel free to take a look :)

      https://medium.com/series/40cd495bbad0?source=linkShare-cc56bb288105-1520464080

      Delete
  4. Hey Cris,

    Its been roughly 8 months since the break for me and I was wondering how your arm looks. The bone healed at a bit of an angle like yours and looks a tad bit crooked depending on where you look at it from. Have you noticed your arm straightening out over the years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cris! I have a similar fracture, it healed a bit faster than your but the alignment is probably slightly worse. I feel the annoying discomfort when leaning on the elbow. It just doesnt feel right anymore, probably due to the angulation. ROM is good however. Did the discomfort with leaning on elbow/forearm eventually subside for you? I am 4,5 months in.

    ReplyDelete