Saturday, 5 September 2015

Second (and third) opinion

After arriving, registering, and getting x-rayed all over again, I was greeted with the news that my bones might be able to heal on their own.  “Really?!”  I said.  “Maybe…there’s a slight chance,” the emergency ortho replied.  “Let’s hope that gravity’s on your side.”



So, I took that sliver of hope and decided to wait and see.  After making an appointment with the fracture clinic and a week later, I saw another ortho and his first reaction after seeing my x-ray was, “You’ll need surgery.”  “But, the other orthopedic surgeon said it could possibly mend on its own,” I mentioned.  Then he replied it was up to me and believed that we should give it another 3 weeks to see if the bones would start to mend or not, otherwise it was surgery.  Now, like with all choices there are pros and cons, with operative surgery there is quicker recovery time, but it would mean going under the knife, being part Terminator, and possible 1-2% chance of nerve damage in the hand if surgery is not 100% successful.  Non-operative surgery is all natural, but a longer recovery time.  I’m a patient person so I’ll go with the latter…if given that chance.  So I’ll play the waiting game for now and throw in a whole lotta prayer and promises to God in the mean time, despite not being a religious man…but I can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment