Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Week 2/3 ~ Life as we know it


Having never been injured before, everyday life with one arm is quite an adjustment.  Add a heavy hanging U-slab cast, a cuff & collar sling, and a swollen bruised hand and you've earned yourself some whining rights.  Those of you who have a humerus fracture or broken arm can sympathize with the major adjustments we have to deal with that involve sleeping, bathing, cooking/eating, dressing, washrooming, driving, as well as the minor inconveniences of typing, fingernail cutting, single-hand washing, shoe-lace tying and when you drop something on the floor (the worst!).  I could go on and I’m sure you could too.  The point is…

It’s not the same anymore…at least not for now.

What I truly miss the most are hot showers and sleeping sideways on my bed.  I’ve been doing sponge bathes at the sink because I don’t trust myself wearing a garbage bag in the shower or bathtub.  My first week sleeping-wise was horrible.  My hand and arm would feel like pins and needles if I tried sleeping in a bed and there were nights I would switch through five different couches or chairs in my house to sleep in.  Eventually I settled on sleeping in a la-z-boy reclining chair for a few hours and then switching to being propped with pillows in my bed for the next few hours.  My sleep would always be disturbed by either minor neck pain or my hand/arm being too warm.  Tooth pain was another weird issue.  I don’t think I was grinding my teeth though because it was only my front teeth that felt sore and not my jaw.

Fortunately, by the end of week 2 my pain subsided and I realized that I could comfortably sleep horizontally in my bed.  Yay!  A small, but much appreciated luxury.  However, I can only sleep on my back…and I’m usually a side sleeper.  So, that’s been another adjustment.  There are times I will try and sleep on my right side while trying to balance my cast on the side of my stomach, but then it eventually feels weird, awkward and heavy.  If you’re able-bodied, please be grateful that you are able to shower and sleep in a bed sideways: I envy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment