SNAP!
“I think I broke my arm!”
That’s what I said after found myself sitting atop a hanging log and staring at my eerily wobbling misaligned left arm while treetop trekking this past summer. It happened so quickly, but I remember holding the cables with both hands and then suddenly seeing my left arm fly over my head while trying to support myself. And then SNAP!
The obstacle course looked pretty similar to this:
Fortunately, there was a log underneath me for me to safely
land on top of otherwise I think this injury could have been made worse (i.e.
me tangling in the air with a broken arm).
In brief: after getting slinged up by first aid, taking a
long walk to the car, a painful drive (my friend and his sharp turns) to the
nearby hospital and an even longer wait for the doctor, I was given the news
after looking at my x-ray that I would need surgery. I was devastated. This was my first major injury ever and the
thought of having metal plates and screws forever inside me was not very
appealing. You see, although I initially screamed, “broken arm!” when I
heard the snap, I honestly thought it was just a dislocated elbow.
Before I could accept my outcome, the orthopedic surgeon
told me that surgery could be scheduled for tonight, however if someone with
say, an exploded pancreas came in, then I would get bumped. Another deterrent was that this hospital was
located an hour away from where I lived and registering at a hospital near me
for surgery would be more ideal for follow-up appointments in the future. So off I went to another hospital to see
another orthopedic surgeon.

No comments:
Post a Comment