Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Week 8 ~ Little miracles happen everyday…or in my case, waiting 57 days

I can lift my arm.  Well, kinda.  This morning I noticed while brushing my teeth in a sling that I could lift my arm without any support.  It was a miracle!  Then I took a seat and I couldn’t do it anymore.  God pulled a prank on me.

It was the day I’d been anxiously waiting for.  Since my accident I’ve pondered what raising my arm would feel like and how it would happen.  Would I just suddenly wake up one morning and realize it?  (Which you could argue sorta did happen.)  It’s a strange and frustrating feeling when you no longer have control of one of your limbs.  You can try with all your might, stare at it, yell at it, but it just won’t move.      

But, later in the day I realized that my little miracle did last.  Like a magic act, it takes a lot of concentration and effort, but I can raise my arm.  It feels very foreign and eerie when doing so as I can hear and feel bones and muscles moving.  But, it’s great progress and reassures me that I am healing as I have been googling about humerus fractures and non-unions recently.  We all heal differently, right?  Now, I’m just unsure how much I should push it.  Do I try and lift my arm whenever I can?  Will that strengthen it?  Or will it get better on its own and require less effort as time goes on?

No comments:

Post a Comment